Sunday, April 17, 2005

Interview with an Atheist

People call him an atheist. Much isn't known about him. Its still a mystery how people came to know about his ways of life and labeled him as such. The only thing I know about him is that he doesn't like revealing anything about himself. Still I managed to coax him to speak to me. Here is the interview of an atheist:

Me: Its so kind of you for allowing me to interview you. First of all I would definitely like to know why have you been labeled an atheist ?
Atheist: Its quite obvious, I am not a theist.(chuckling)

Me: But then why aren't you a theist ?
Atheist: Because I cannot force myself to believe something that I donot believe.

Me: So you are of the opinion that God does not exist.
Atheist: I cannot say so as I wouldn't say something that I cannot prove. Neither can I say that God does exist because none of us can prove that either.Its just that something existed before we came to being and it still exists having some sort of control on our lives. May be that is what we call GOD.

Me: So you believe there is some universal power above everything .
Atheist: Ofcourse, otherwise the creation of every entity that exists becomes vague whatever scientific theory we give.

Me: Since your belief is quite similiar to the existence of GOD , then why this disbelief in HIM?
Atheist: Because of the way he has been represented. I find it utterly illogical to worship a photo or a stone figure. On one side you claim that God is omnipresent then why do we confine him in to the boundaries of temples, churches, mosques etc ?

Me: It seems your disbelief is more of a veil for your resistance towards the places of worship.
Atheist: Not only that but also against the way various religions have been practised. Something is preached, something comprehended and something put to practice.

Me: Can you tell me something about your hatred towards the concept of religion?
Atheist: See, I have always felt religion to be the greatest hindrance towards mutual brotherhood. Almost all mishaps in the world have been direct consequences of religious discriminations. Be it the Crusades, the Hindu-Mughal feud, the world wars, terrorism in the modern world , all have had religion as one of their ingredients. The Crusades had the Christians and the Muslims battling over whose world it was. The world war-II saw Hitler making life hell for the Jews. The existence of the most of the fanatic terrorist wings has more to do with religion than with anyother thing, be it the Jehadis, the IRA or other such extremists. Even it was religion that was the vital weapon used by the British for their Divide and Rule Campaign in India. I don't think any of the religions preaches such kind of violence. It is only the way religion has been interpreted by the followers or , should I say, the way religion has been taught by the so called teachers of religion that has created contempt in the hearts of people.

Me: So What do you think are the real teachings of religion?
Atheist: I am not sure about that but what I am sure of is that a religion can never teach you to have contempt for another religion.

Me: It is also well known that you have a certain dislike for going to temples?
Atheist: I believe that the supreme power is omnipresent. So going to temple doesn't make any sense. I consider that power as a friend, my best friend. I share all my thoughts and feelings with HIM. So I needn't go to the temple. Moreover the temples remain extremely crowded and that repels me. Also the temples are kept so untidy and unclean. If proverbs are to be believed
then, " Cleanliness is next to Godliness". Any place that is unclean doesn't have God in it. So temples don't have the presence of God.

Me: And what do you have to say about the rituals?
Atheist: I have nothing to comment about it because whenever I have followed certain ritual its under compulsion. I have never felt like appeasing GOD because I hate the total concept of doing something in order to make GOD happy so that your wishes are fulfilled. This is not a barter system and you don't make business dealings with GOD.

Me: A last question, don't you think you are interpreted in a wrong way when people say that your atheism is just a fashion statement.
Atheist: People are entitled to their own views and whenever people say so I laugh at their ignorance. My stand on atheism is logical. I don't challenge the presence of God. I challenge the way God is interpreted and worshipped. I challenge the idol worship and false religious practices that take place in God's name. I challenge the religious discriminations. I am not an atheist by choice but by circumstance. If religion had been practiced in the proper way then I would have been a devotee. I would rather continue my friendship with my "FRIEND UP THERE" then succumb to the ignorant practices of the society.

No comments: